Friday, November 25, 2011

Shake and Bake Tofu

Sometimes the best ideas come out of failed recipes. I tried to follow recipe from don't feed the bears 2 as seen on  Cake Maker to the Stars a few weeks ago. Sadly my attempt at roux kind of sucked and I didn't know how to get the right seasoning but I come up with another idea for tofu. This recipe involves breading tofu. I followed the recipe but used a mix of cajun and nooch but after breading several thought this must be an quicker way. Putting them in a ziplock bag and shaking was actually fun. It's not a completely original idea as I saw another blog do the same thing about a week after I made it but I recommend giving it a go. Here is the loose recipe:

Shake and Bake Tofu
1 container of tofu, drained
About a tablespoon of soy sauce (gluten free of course)
Use a ratio of 3 tablespoons of nooch-1 tablespoon cajun spices until all tofu is covered


Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 F).

Brush baking sheet with oil.

Cut Tofu into cubes, then add soy sauce until all covered. Put a large handful of tofu, nooch and cajun spices into zip lock bag and shake til it is evenly covered. Then repeat, until all covered.

Place in tray and bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes, turning about half way through until quite crispy.




Here is it prebaked. 
 

I think it could work well in a range of dishes. We had similar noochy tofu in a stir fry in Portland. This didn't last long at our household with Toby and I served it with rice and dipped some in mayo and sweet chilli sauce, so damn additive.

3 comments:

  1. This is just about all I do with my tofu when I eat it usually, too. Quick and easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this looks so good. I did something vaguley similar, years ago, in a frying pan but oven baked, nooch-covered tofu sounds like such a perfect snack. I think I would eat it all in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great idea - I have been making tofu nuggets for sylvia for quite a while now and it involves dipping in three bowls - I have wondered about just mixing them all together and dipping into one bowl but am not sure it would be the same??? I could do the first step using a bag which is to toss in flour

    ReplyDelete