Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Apricot Delight

Another entry for that recipe looks familiar event, this one uses a recipe from Green Gourmet Giraffe. I used to love apricot delights but all the preservatives and other ingredients would upset my stomach so I was excited to see Johanna make them at home. To completely avoid preservatives, I got some organic sulphur free dried apricots and dessicated coconut from wholefoods. I didn't read the recipe right the first time, so ended up adding all of the apricots to the pan rather than leaving some whole. I don't think it make a big difference though. I also accidentally added a little bit too much water to mine, which made my a little softer but did mean that I had no issues getting the coconut on the sides.

 

Apricot Delight
makes 36
adapted from the Australian Women's Weekly as found on Green Gourmet Giraffe
250g dried apricots, chopped
3/4 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups dessicated coconut
2 tbsp honey agave
extra coconut, for coating

Place half  the apricots and the boiling water in a small saucepan.  Soak for about an hour.  Bring to the boil and gently simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes.  The apricots should be quite jammy.

Puree apricots in a blender.   Add the rest of the apricots and the coconut.  You will have a stiff paste.  Spread into a lined 15cm square cake tin and leave overnight in the fridge. 

The next day, take slab out of the cake tin and chop into about 36 squares (or any size you want).  Toss each piece in coconut.  I found that the top of my slab had dried out a bit and was harder to get the coconut to stick to it - so I wiped it with a damp wad of kitchen paper. 

Keep in an airtight container. 



They are just as tasty as the store bought ones, although a little darker in colour without the preservatives. But more importantly easy to make and pretty healthy. Will certainly make them again!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! These looks fabulous on Johanna's blog and fabulous on yours. I've never liked the store-bought ones, as they taste like sugar rather than apricot to me, but I can't wait to try these. And maybe throw in dried cherries too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. delightful - ha ha! great to hear that the recipe stands up to some gleeganing! the honey is not a strong flavour in the ones I made so I am sure it tasted fairly similar with agave - so glad you have been reunited with apricot delight - it is such a great snamc

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fantastic! I had my eye on Johanna's recipe too and was also planning to sub agave in for the honey. Must try them soon!

    ReplyDelete