Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Nut Milk Bag and Peach Almond Ice Cream

Nut bag, Nut bag, nut bag! Yes I know it sounds dirty, so stop giggling so I can tell you about it.

I think technically they are called nut milk bags, but I called it a nut bag much to the amusement of friends. I've been wanting to get one  since I started reading about making your own almond milk but figured would be too tricky to hunt down. So I was quite happy to discover this asian style version for a couple of dollars at the IGA in Carlton:



Toby tells me that it usually intended to cook fish in chinese style soup. But I figured it's probably the same as a nut bag.

I made this:

Peach Almond Ice Cream from Elana's Pantry:


1 cup almonds, soaked overnight, discard soaking water
1 cup water
3-4 peaches
5 dates
4 drops stevia (I used agave)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
  1. Place soaked almonds and water in Vitamix (I just used a regular blender)
  2. Blend on highest setting until smooth, about 1 minute, add a bit more water if blending is a challenge
  3. Remove almond mixture from Vitamix and strain through a fine mesh paint strainer bag, discarding solids
  4. Place almond mixture in rinsed out Vitamix container, blend in peaches and dates on highest setting until smooth
  5. Blend in stevia, vanilla and lemon juice
  6. Place mixture in ice cream maker and process according to instructions



The almond milk was so  smooth! It made a nice healthy ice cream, but it made far less than I am used to. Also I think it would have been better if i cooked the peaches first and I think it could have been sweeter. I've wondering if there is a pattern developing that replacing stevia with other sweeteners doesn't work or that I am just used to really sugary desserts.

I'm sure you will be seeing more recipes which use the nut milk bag  soon.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, really, you got one from an IGA? Brilliant! I've been hoping for one too, though I'm planning on making raw cashew cheese with it :) Time to start scouring my local shops...

    ReplyDelete